Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Motor gloat

I got my cement mixer hooked up the other day by stealing the 1 hp motor
from my band saw. Just to get it running. I didn't like the looks of it,
and wondered how well it would do with 180# of wet concrete in it. Plus, I
can't use the saw and the mixer at the same time.

Put an ad on freecycle.org, and had an e mail the same day. The lady was
divorced, and it was laying around the garage for a couple of years. Got a
Dayton 1 1/2 hp motor for free. I had a bunch of 7-11 free coupons for
large Slurpees that my daughter, a LEO, got for free, so I gave them to her
for her kids. This thing weighs about three times as much as the 1 hp, and
I KNOW this will handle it. The current motor hangs there, the weight of
the motor keeps the belt on the top larger pulley. This weighs so much, I
may have to put an allthread so it tensions, but doesn't just hang there and
stretch the belt. So, I can put the saw motor back in place, and get the
mixer going and do my awning.

I love freecycle.org, and would suggest you check it out. There are lots of
baby clothes, and worthless junk, but when you want something, there's
always a chance. And when you want to dump stuff, it usually disappears
quickly and people come and pick it up.

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com