Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sidney Endon-Lee Sidney Endon-Lee is offline

Default Yikes, blown the suppy company neutral fuse ...

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 1 Sep, 07:17, harry wrote:

I think this post is a load of ********. *There hasn't been fuses in
neutrals since the days of DC (ie 1930s). I used to work for the
electricity board. * Someone would have removed equipment like that
when the meter/supply cable was replaced years ago. No electrician who
sees such a thing is going to fail to report it.

Friend of mine moved house last year. Their 1920s house (in an area
that was one of the last DC supply areas in the country) still had two
fuses, and electrics to match. This wasn't even picked up on the
survey.

I have a neutral fuse here, although it's on a supply that was removed
in 2000. Some other equipment adjacent to it is '80s dated though, and
no-one thought to remove the neutral fuse at the time. I think it was
installed on a 1950s AC overhead supply.

If a neutral fuse fails, you're well rid of it.

Interestingly, in large parts of continental Europe, it is standard to
have both live and neutral fuses, and there is no discrimination at
the sockets between live and neutral, together with random variation
from socket to socket as to whether it offers an earth. From my trips
to Norway, I have looked at their standard domestic electrical setup
and shuddered. Cartridge fuses in both live and neutral at the
consumer unit, unshuttered sockets with mixed live and neutral - and
two pin plugs that can be inserted either way round. And they wonder
why they have so many electrically-caused house fires.

Oh, and ring circuits are unheard of.

Sid