Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Odd engine miss problem

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:42:30 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 22:19:12 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Jon Elson writes:

Anyway, has anyone had an experience like this, where there was very
obvious ignition miss immediately after a
full throttle acceleration?

Something like that happens if you occasioned damage to the torque
converter; it shudders from then on not unlike a missing cylinder. Of
course, replacing spark plugs won't help this.

My PT cruiser has had an easy life for the last couple months, but
last weekend I floored it pretty good to pass a double trailer semi on
a two-lane - and it missed for the rest of the trip out (about another
10 miles) and all the way home (about 20 miles).
I was going to pull the plug wires to see which cyl was missing when I
got home - and low and behold, it idled PERFECTLY.
Hasn't missed a beat since, so I won't worry about it unless it starts
misbehaving again.

I have, on occasion, seen a bit of carbon caught between plug
electrodes.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada