Posted to alt.home.repair
SharonBee SharonBee is offline

Default Replacing a 26 year old air conditioner! (Westinghouse Mobilaire)

On Aug 30, 10:20*pm, turtlelover wrote:

We have a White Westinghouse "Mobilaire" air conditioner, installed
through the dining room wall, that has finally given up the ghost. *It
was here when we bought the house, and we've been here 20 years. *I
seriously doubt that it can be fixed. *Besides, it isn't as energy
efficient as newer models.

snipped most of my post

Thanks for all of your replies, folks. The A/C used to cool just
fine, and it wasn’t really necessary to keep it cranked up all day.
There are three considerations: (1) the unit is in the dining room
(middle of the three rooms), and it faces a wall about 10 feet away
(it’s sort of an alcove, where it gets ungodly hot when the air isn’t
on as needed). The air flow louvers(?) didn't turn very well so we
couldn't direct the air flow toward the middle of the room; (2) the
outside wall of the A/C gets direct sun; (3) one of the rooms to be
cooled is a kitchen.

We’ll probably look for something in the 14000 range, but we will get
a pro in here for an estimate.

Many thanks,