Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Odd engine miss problem

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:50:27 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

Anyway, has anyone had an experience like this, where there was very
obvious ignition miss immediately after a
full throttle acceleration? I've had plenty of dirty spark plugs and
bad plug wires over the years, and they generally
slowly got worse. I've never had a miss develop suddenly while
driving. All the old plugs looked quite normal,
although the gaps were all worn a bit.

The other thing you should do is ohm out your spark plug wires. 6-10 ohms. I've had a
bad wire make my 4 cylinder Saturn do the shakes. I put an old wire on it that I saved
and drove it for many miles.

6 to 10 K ohms. Not 6-10 ohms with radio suppression wires.

Also look for arc over from boots on coil packs.

My car is about 52,000 miles since the last plug change and 70,000 since I changed the
wires according to Quicken. I hope to get this corrected this weekend. I have the parts
but it has been too freaking hot after work lately.

Responding made me do the research on my car. I bet my rough idle issues go away soon.

Wes