Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Much educational CNCing today

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:43:52 -0500, Ignoramus20906

On 2010-08-31, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 22:20:14 -0500, Ignoramus24925

On 2010-08-31, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:37:31 -0500, Ignoramus24925

On 2010-08-31, Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl, do you have some example on the web of those laser sensors?

do a search on ebay for laser displacement.

Here's my controller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Omron-Laser-Disp...em4cf130 c48a

looks like the head isn't included in this offer.

It pays to shop ebay a while. The same units go from $20 to $1000+

my unit puts out 4 - 20 miliamps measuring a distance within +/- .0015
inches. You take data on the fly. For most stuff, sample once every
0.050 inches and move the machine at about 5ipm. if you're really into
detail, I've seen scans of a coin and you can read the writing in the
point cloud.

rhino is the best software for dealing with point clouds from what
little I know.

I used to write software dealing with point clouds. That was for a
defense contractor, and the objective was to recognize incoming
warheads and determine several characteristics.

Which side of the ocean?

The "wrong" side of the ocean.

So did you manage to recognize an incoming Minuteman II or Peacekeeper?

Well, it worked pretty decently in simulation.

Cool!

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)