Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Core Memory

flipper wrote:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 06:22:36 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?flipper wrote:
??
?? On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:50:58 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?
?? ?flipper wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ?flipper wrote:
?? ?? ??
?? ?? ?? Do you also whip out a 1967 color TV for the proper viewing
?? ?? ?? experience?
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ? I could. I still have my parent's 1967 Motorola Quasar color TV.
?? ??
?? ?? Me too. I still have an old RCA 13 inch. All the 'modern' ones died.
?? ?
?? ?
?? ? The Quasar still works, even though it was hit by lightning three
?? ?different times. Each time it lost the RF preamp in the VHF tuner.
?? ?Other than a new CRT when it was nine years old, it saw a lot of service
?? ?without any other problems. I converted a similar Quasar console into a
?? ?video monitor back in the late '70s for my shop.
??
?? I forgot, I've also got a 19" Emerson someone gave me.
??
?? The 'modern' ones invariable took damage to the micro controller,
?? making repair more than they were worth.
?
?
? A lot of those failed, due to bad solder from what I've read.
?Thompson Consumer Electronics was one of the worst, with their RCA and
?other old line American corporate names.

Hmm. Well, that's an interesting thought as I still have at least one
of them in storage so I might give it a gander.

I have an old Sony 'Home Theater' receiver that supposedly suffers
from poor solder joints so I did a shotgun on it and while it worked
perfectly fine for a while the 'protection' circuit, I presume, is
back to turning off the front speakers after some indeterminate time
for no observable reason.

I hate that kind of crap because you just *know* as soon as you rip it
apart the thing will work again... until you put it back together.

A bottle of good RMA flux and a hot iron can bring them back from the
dead.

enough left over to pay them.