Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer[_3_] John Gilmer[_3_] is offline

Default Seven most outrageous HOA rules

I do not feel sorry for anyone in the HOAs. They should know what they
are getting into when they move in. While I fly an American Flag at my
house, the old man should not have one up or should move out if he wants
to fly one.

Well, one problem is that the "government" changed the rules and essentially
gave the HOAs a green light for just about any foolishment they can think
of.

Pre-1990 or so, they were just a convenience to provide a structure to
maintain the roads which (because of 2nd rate construction) could not be
turned over to the government.

The courts used to protect that individual owners from HOA excesses but now
if the letter of the agreement is adhered to, they can do just about
anything. For example, where we own, the HOA decided to take away 2 of our
4 parking spaces even when all 4 were on out lot.

We spent a few $1k in legal bills but the bottom line is that today, they
are a law unto themselves.

In the late 80s, a circuit court judge affirmed my right to keep folks from
parking on our property without our permission but that has changed

Now that same HOA wants the right to approve tenants! They demand $20 to
"screen" prospects.

As the Jews say, "Never Again."