Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Seven most outrageous HOA rules

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
No-flag rule:

"After receiving support from members of Congress, and even the Obama
administration, Medal of Honor recipient Van T. Barfoot, who once
singlehandedly took on three Nazi tanks, triumphed in his quest to fly Old
Glory."

But here's a list of seven homeowners who did not prevail over the
fungating pustules that are HOAs.

http://theweek.com/article/index/104...ociation-rules

I am a property analyst for a licensed reserve study company. We go and
inspect every property that has a HOA at least every five years. There is
an annual update, too. We do not do EVERY one in the state we work in, just
the ones who choose our company. We have done six hundred properties in the
last year and a half.

We go and count the asphalt, sidewalk, curb, landscape, and everything that
a homeowner's dues pays for so that they collect enough money to pay for the
items as they wear out, and so that the homeowner (supposedly) has
accountability for the money they give in dues.

We have nothing to do with the rules, the boards, the board members, the hoa
members, advising either side on issues, we just count beans. There have
been countless times, though, when we did have to inform management or
members of what EXACTLY their CC&R's DID or DID NOT state, as they were
doing something in error. But we just do that, and then they keep on doing
whatever it is they want to do anyway until someone calls them on it.

Still, when we are out there working and taking pictures, we get some doozy
stories of just such things. One fellow took out grass as a money saving
thing with the water department (allowed) but when he replaced it with rock,
the board did not like the shade of rock. He showed me the one he had to
have replaced, and it looked to me very close to the new shade. One old
lady went around with a measuring tape and measured lawns and weeds.

We live at the end of a dirt road way out in rural Utah. I would never ever
buy in a HOA even if I wanted to just live in a place where I didn't have to
do any of the maintenance. A place like that would be okay, but they will
fuss with you about damn near everything you do, right down to the color and
number of flowers.

We have a HOA at our cabin. There are fifteen homeowners, and the dues are
$25 a year. There has never been a meeting since 1984, and there has never
been a dime collected. When something needs done, we just pass the hat, and
get it done. We did have one time when we bought road base to make the mud
a little better. There were two who didn't want to chip in, so guess who's
lots didn't get road base.

It is a requirement now that any housing development with 10 or more houses
must have a HOA. Ah, just what we need. More laws.

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com