Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Pool Cue

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
DanG wrote:
If the is cue is something special, you might try turning down the
tip and using a metal ferrule (copper pipe? or other) where this one
is splitting. Install with epoxy to take up any gaps.

I don't see why a plastic or bone ferrule wouldn't do the same job.

Recall too that a good installation of such a ferrule involves putting
on an over-sized one and taking it down with a lathe. With a new tip,
it would typically probably cost $30-40 to have that done. It sounds
as if the original tenon is long gone (broken off), so a bit more work
is required. If I owned a lathe, I would try to do it. Otherwise I'd
be cue shopping (hardly an unpleasant affair). I don't recall exactly
where the line in the sand is now, but I think anything over a certain
amount, say $150, is all for show.

Bill

Been a long time since I looked at pool cues, but the last time I looked
the low end McDermott was about $117. You could get a Diamond for about
$80, and a good quality Players for about $50. Never could bring myself
to spring for a McDermott, but I had a Diamond, still have a Players,
and had a number of the good old $39.95 Dufferin (carefully hand
selected of course) cues over the years.

Quite a collection of them here.

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cue..._pool_cues.htm