Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Pool Cue

"Bill" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
DanG wrote:
If the is cue is something special, you might try turning down the
tip and using a metal ferrule (copper pipe? or other) where this one
is splitting. Install with epoxy to take up any gaps.

I don't see why a plastic or bone ferrule wouldn't do the same job.

Recall too that a good installation of such a ferrule involves putting on
an over-sized one and taking it down with a lathe. With a new tip, it
would typically probably cost $30-40 to have that done. It sounds as if
the original tenon is long gone (broken off), so a bit more work is
required. If I owned a lathe, I would try to do it. Otherwise I'd be cue
shopping (hardly an unpleasant affair). I don't recall exactly where the
line in the sand is now, but I think anything over a certain amount, say
$150, is all for show.

Bill

Been a long time since I looked at pool cues, but the last time I looked the
low end McDermott was about $117. You could get a Diamond for about $80,
and a good quality Players for about $50. Never could bring myself to
spring for a McDermott, but I had a Diamond, still have a Players, and had a
number of the good old $39.95 Dufferin (carefully hand selected of course)
cues over the years.

Flash back time: I'll never forget the poor guy who challenged me to basic
$5 a game 8 ball once. I wasn't good, but I was better than him. After the
4th game he said it had to be my fancy pool cue, so I handed it to him
covered my eyes and randomly grabbed a bar stick off the wall, and told him
to put his money down. (I turned away from him so he wouldn't see the
expression on my face when I discovered what I would be shooting with. LOL.
I was thrilled it still had decent leather.) He took me up on it. I got
one of those perfect one in a hundred spreads on the break and ran the table
on him. He must have enjoyed the show because he was grinning when he
handed me his fin. You just gotta love a good sport.