Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Yet another bulging-capacitors replacement

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:29:52 -0700, stratus46 wrote:

On Aug 27, 6:09Â*am, Meat Plow wrote: snip
You answered your own question. The AMD heatsink / quad core Phenom

II 955
Black Edition package comes with Artic Silver already applied. I'm

using
an Antec server case that has a hole and tube in the side cover.

The end
of the tube fits directly over the CPU heat sink so it draws air

directly
from the outside. In back is a pair of 120mm fans controlled by the
mainboard. If the CPU temp goes up all three fans increase

according to
the temp. Or you can set them to run at full speed all the time.

The 650
watt PSU also has a temp sensing 120mm fan. So the box is really

quiet
most of the time. But when rendering video and the CPU usage hovers
around 50% fan speed increases slightly. Video rendering with an
application that takes advantage of multi-core processors seem to

use the
most CPU percentage. I've never seen it go over 50%. Most of the

time it
doesn't go over 10%.

Sony Vegas software will push your processor usage up to nearly 100% and
stay there for minutes. My Phenom II 955 machine normally idles 115-120
Watts but will peak about 100 more while Vegas is rendering a file. I'm
almost tempted to try a 6 core processor to see what happens.

G²

I use Kino in linux to render raw DV capture. Can't find a suitable linux
app to create dvd containers/structure etc.. in linux so I use a fairly
inexpensive app called DVDtoX from VSO. Fast 10x frame rates on VBR video
encoding usually 2000KB/s. Easy to use nice output. tried Sony DVD
Architect trial, more than I needed. Linux is much more efficient at
processor usage but applications aren't up to par.