Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default how to remove alkaline battery residue

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 17:56:43 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

We don't have dirty toilets BTW, there are lots of other cleaners,
including "mai cham" (literally hot water), which is a dilute muratic
acid solution.

That will etch the surface of the porcelain, which will cause
particles of defecant to stick to the surface. It's much like using a
chemical sandpaper.

I don't think that's correct. I don't think most acids will attack
porcelain.

This is all I could find. It isn't clear what the relationship between
"porcelain enamel" and the porcelain used in bathroom fixtures is.

http://www.porcelainenamel.com/pei503.htm

Googling.... See the "acid resistance" and "alkali resistance"
sections at:
http://www.porcelainenamel.com/pei503.htm
The degree of attack by acid solution on porcelain enamels
appears to depend less on the type of solution than on its pH.

"Chemical Resistance of Porcelain Enamel at various Temperature
Levels"
http://www.zurn.com/operations/specdrain/pages/TechnicalInformation/Receptors/OF52.pdf
Looks very good for both base and acidic. However, hot ammonium
hydroxide (common household ammonia) looks like a potential problem. I
usually mix the stuff with hot water when washing the floor and dump
it in the toilet. It's not concentrated, but it might cause a problem
because it's warm.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D