Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default how to remove alkaline battery residue

Acids are what's used to etch porcelain bathtubs for "refinishing"
with epoxy paints. Even leaving chlorine bleach solution puddled
on the tub surface will etch it -- I found that out the hard way.

Which acid or acids? Decades before I saw "Breaking Bad", I knew
that hydrofluoric acid attacked glass and porcelain. But hydrochloric?

I recently discovered that caustic soda in an ultrasonic cleaner
is capable of etching the glaze off spark plug insulators.

Okay, but we're talking about acids directly applied to porcelain.