Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default OT-gas additives for small engines?

On Aug 29, 5:17*pm, axolotl wrote:
I acquired a snowblower. Vintage, as they say on Ebay. It runs, so I am
not inclined to rebuild the carb or otherwise mess with it. Does anyone
have experience with Seafoam or other magic elixirs in small engines?

Kevin Gallimore

I've got a mower that's about 30 years old now, was in the trash when
I got it, up and running now. What I found was it really, REALLY
wants 91 octane gas. With 87 and ethanol contamination, it kind of
sputters along. If the thing is really old, you might want to invest
in some lead replacement additive for the valves, unless it's a 2-
cycle. Engines with an unknown service history tend to get a lot of
oil changes at first, no telling how many hours it was run with the
original fill. I try not to run too many solvents through old
engines, no telling what will dissolve unexpectedly.

Stan