Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Soap and goo dispensers

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 14:36:57 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

I kinda like liquid handsoap, and keep pump-bottle dispensers for
waterless hand cleaner and soap and lotion all by every sink.

Two peeves, though:

(1) I had a couple of nice polished-stainless bottles, but both
developed a split (the side just burst open one day: bad weld,
and unrelieved internal stresses). I've cleaned up the
spills, but WHY can't I get a sturdy stainless bottle for that
handsoap?
Maybe I should remachine the tops of SS water bottles to take
the pumps...

(2) waterless hand cleaner, both as a parts cleaner and for
personal washing, is a key item, BUT it seems to mainly come in
gel form (don't want to open a can while my hands are black),
or with pumice (don't want THAT in any of my parts after
a treatment). Is pump-able goop still available, and I just don't
shop in the right place?

I much prefer the old powdered Boraxo soap for nearly every dirt I
encounter. A little soap and lots of water; when the paste gets thick,
add more water & scrub some more. I even bought an old powdered Boraxo
dispenser at the flea market, but an empty "shaker (parmesan) cheese"
container works as well, just don't leave it in the kitchen!

The only thing it doesn't do too well is thick grease or oil (think
packing bearings or changing the crankcase oil, getting it all over
your hands). In those cases I prefer the orange waterless stuff with
pumice; I've used Permatex and Goop with equal results, but I think
the pumice eventually screws up the pump before the gallon is used up.
BTW, I still find the Goop at auto parts stores.

Joe