The Natural Philosopher

Default Clearing blocked toilet with caustic soda

dave @ stejonda wrote:

In message , Malcolm Stewart
writes

Bear in mind that even weak caustic soda is very dangerous to skin and
eyes (full face visor recommended) and will make soap out of you in
short order

Just in case anyone reading doesn't believe this comment - I once didn't
bother with gloves when using diluted caustic soda to clear a drain -
and wondered for a while where the soap on my hands had come from - very
odd sensation, and not what I'd expect to feel when my skin was being
corroded.

Inded, since the epidermis is largely dead and has no nerve cells, you
just end up wih a fresh shiny and very clean layer of slighly less dead
skin.
No big deal really.