Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default How to make a scroll?

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Ned Simmons wrote:
A bending fork:
http://tinyurl.com/2u3j3jq

Thanks - I didn't do it their way, but knowing the term "bending fork" got
me to a bunch of sites. I eventually made a fork with 2, 1/2" pegs set
3/16" apart in a 3/4" sq rod. And a similar bending wrench with a 2'
handle.

Unless the beginning is a tight radius or forged to a taper you should
be able to do it all cold.

I was able to do most of it cold, but did use an OA torch on the tight
curves. If I had it to do over, I would set up a propane forge - it bends
SO much more easily hot.

Thanks,
Bob

I have used a bending fork when making "pictures" within a frame for a
ornamental metal gate. You lay out your drawing, or just free form it, and
bend it as you go along. Most of the stuff is very gradual bends, so it is
very easy. The hard part was to get everything flat, so eventually, I got a
4' square piece of plate, and drilled and tapped some holes where I could
move the two bolts around for convenience. As you say, one of those propane
burners make things go a lot faster, you just have to be careful.

Steve