Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Take apart - put together syndrome

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 11:17:17 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

You are talking about badly maintained bugs. They are almost as bad as
a badly maintained Caddy or Volvo or Chevette.

Oh, I forgot to mention the rear-enders in Bugs, the 99% of owners who
didn't take their POS in to have the braked adjusted weekly, as they
needed.

???? Bugs had self adjusting brakes. Only a complete yutz could drive a
post 64-66 and not have brakes.

While they can indeed have issues, the technology is well mature, well
documented and has improved a 1000 fold from 1939..or 69

No doubt. I haven't looked under the hood of a new Bug, and I don't
relaly have any wish to. I would like to play with one of their
diesels, though. It'd power a genset and backhoe right nicely.

The Jetta etc are actually decent cars, though not Bugs. Buddy of mine
takes normal maint..and has somewhere over 350,000 on his diesel VW,
nothing major to report in maint.

But at least they gave you carbon-monoxide-filled heat during the
winter, eh?

Only on a poorly maintained one. Does your current ride ****
antifreeze on your foot from a poorly maintained heater core?

No, and I'll bet no VW you owned did, either.

G Nope.

But, as a subset of the population, VW drivers were always known for
their crazy driving and total lack of maintenance. Anyone who
wasn't/isn't a VW freak knows that. Only those who did their own work
kept up their Bugs at all, it seemed.

So were people who drove Nash Ramblers home from the bar.

You really carrying a torch against the Beetle, arnt you? Someone run
over your foot or something?

I have found..in well over 40 yrs of being a licensed driver and a
number of million miles..that the VW was a decent car, better than some,
worse than others..but not much worse and only a tiny few..Volvos come
to mind....

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)