Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Take apart - put together syndrome

On 2010-08-28, Wes wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

As for the starter -- no pushbutton in the MGA -- you pull on
a knob which pulled a wire in a spiral steel sheath, to mechanically
close the contacts on the high current switch near the starter.

No wonder Lucas is called 'The Prince of Darkness'.

Actually -- I never had a failure of the starter contacts or
switch overall. Now the fuel pump -- that was a regular failure.

Enjoy,
DoN.

There were other cars, and aircraft, that had that kind of switch. IIRC,
that's how the starter worked on my Bugeye Sprite, too. They were reliable,
as I recall.

The first time I drove a Triumph TR3 I almost pulled the knob off the
dashboard. 'Turns out that it was a push knob. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress