Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

Default finish on red oak threshold

On 8/28/2010 1:22 PM, dpb wrote:
Uno wrote:

I'm glad to have another kansan to chat with. I also believe you're
approximately 73 year old. Am I close on that one?

OK, so what part of KS are you either in or from?

You have to go through kansas to get from utah to ohio or vice versa.
You can go through wyoming, but I decided that was a little too "alpine"
for my tastes, with a female co-ed possibly at the wheel.

I treat kansas like iowa: I'm always looking for the best route no one's
ever heard of.

As to the latter, subtracting about 10 would be closer to the mark...

ok. they did a stat in c.l.f. about that. I think I was Lane Straatman
and 41 years old. You must be approximately 19 years my senior.

I have found that the best thing is to use the finish itself to fill
the pores. Take some of the finish you are going to use and reduce it
about 25 percent with the proper solvent. If you are using oil based
varn. or oil based poly, use mineral spirits.

For red oak I'd vehemently disagree w/ that as "best". It's doable but
the paste filler will do a better job far quicker followed up by the
sanding sealer.

I was able to get the surface I needed through routing sanding. Applied
"natural" stain. Light sanding and exterior on monday.

Have a nice sabbath.

(Thank God we don't have to work all the time.)
--
Uno