Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Servo drive failed

Ignoramus5734 on Sat, 28 Aug 2010
19:31:16 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Since yesterday, I had the Z axis behaving very weirdly, suddenly lots
of chatter and vibration, extremely erratic behavior, then no motion
at all, then some motion etc.

Attempting to diagnose it (isolate the issue) pointed to a servo drive.

Since I have several additional drives on the shelf (they were cheap),
I swapped one for another. Now the Z axis is back to working. I opened
up the drive that I relpaced and saw one chip blackened.

Not sure what to make of this.

Ah, it sounds like you let the magical smoke out of the chip.
That's the real secret of electronic equipment, it really runs on
smoke.
Just don't let the smoke catch fire. That's ...bad.

You might want to "add more fans" in order to increase airflow,
and hopefully cooling.

pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!