Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Servo drive failed

I just replaced my shop computer motherboard because of one chip failed.
The Disk controller for SATA drives got a hot corner. The temp here has
been hot, but I try not to use it when I don't have refrig air blowing on it.

It started telling me bad disk drive. Force reformat and re-install - only
to die. Buy a brand new disk - that one failed likewise. Hum - bit issues.

New mother board, both disks format and function as they should.

It was the only LSI chip there without a heat sink. Now a INTEL motherboard
is in and sigh - looks like I'm looking for heat sink epoxy.

Anyone know of any easy to find without buying gold-epoxy ?

No mounting holes for a sink - and I think one will help.

I have a HD screen - with dual inputs - Got a low cost HD video card -
and wow is that nice to look at now!

Martin

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 8/28/2010 7:31 PM, Ignoramus5734 wrote:
Since yesterday, I had the Z axis behaving very weirdly, suddenly lots
of chatter and vibration, extremely erratic behavior, then no motion
at all, then some motion etc.

Attempting to diagnose it (isolate the issue) pointed to a servo drive.

Since I have several additional drives on the shelf (they were cheap),
I swapped one for another. Now the Z axis is back to working. I opened
up the drive that I relpaced and saw one chip blackened.

Not sure what to make of this.