Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

Default finish on red oak threshold

On 8/27/2010 2:06 PM, dpb wrote:
Uno wrote:
dpb wrote:

What kind of paste filler? Are you my english friend from
comp.lang.fortran? If so, you might not know what Lowe's and Home
Depot are and might not know our brands.

I'm the same dpb but I've no clew why you'd think I'm a Brit...but, I'm
in farm country in SW KS far removed from places largest enough to have
the Borg's so I've no clue what brands they carry, sorry...

I'm glad to have another kansan to chat with. I also believe you're
approximately 73 year old. Am I close on that one?

I'd guess anything they have of a recognized manufacturer will be
perfectly adequate.

Here's a link that has a decent discussion of the ideas in what you're
after...

http://www.antiquerestorers.com/Articles/SAL/filpore.htm

I'm gonna go with mineral spirits:

I have found that the best thing is to use the finish itself to fill the
pores. Take some of the finish you are going to use and reduce it about
25 percent with the proper solvent. If you are using oil based varn. or
oil based poly, use mineral spirits.

--
Uno