Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5734 Ignoramus5734 is offline

Default RPC question for large loads

On 2010-08-28, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:30:15 -0400, "ATP"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
. ..
I'm starting to work on "the kid's" Xmas present. A mulit stage RPC
with 50 hp. of idlers. I'll most likely use a 10 hp for startup and
then optionally bring in one or two more 20hp. depending on what's
running.

At some point (next spring?) I'll give him the 20hp mazak M4 lathe
that doesn't start well in higher gears. Maybe a beefier RPC will
help.

Anyway, I just came accross this thread:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110991

Anyone know about controllers for load on an RPC?

Or, anybody worked with bringing in caps during a large motor start?
Other ideas? Starting the mazak dims the lights on the whole place
and drops the rpm of the phase converter.

Karl

What kind/capacity of electrical service does he have?

200 amp 1 phase 240 volt. standard residential. Just like mine.

karl

Karl, your plan should work very well, it is easy to do also if you
have the electrical gear necessary, such as contactors.