Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default New business opportunity

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 14:41:54 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

If that's so, why were they not cited or mentioned here? *

They have been over and over. I'm not going to do it again. It's not
my job.

Uh huh.

And Ed doesn't either. *OK. What's *relevant should be how the
affected people in Manhattan feel.

However, what THEY think is not really relevant to this discussion
either. Of coutse they, and you and I are entitled to their opinions,
but religious freedom is the law of THIS country. it is not the law of
Suadi Arabia or most of its neighbors. If the people of Manhattan
don't like the law, they should elect representatives who will work to
change it. Those, Don, are the rules.

I've stipulated that several times. Don't you read any of the thread
before launching your posts? I know, not your job.

Again, I will ask - Have you EVER spent any time in that neighborhood?

I've been there, many years ago, just passing through as a visitor or
tourist. *So no, no significant time at all.

Are you familiar with the types of buildings in a two-block radius?

I know what they look like, haven't been in them.

Take a look at Google Maps' Street View - you'll see people going
about their business on what appears to be a nice day in NY. You'll
see a construction site. You'll see cars. Lots of them. I would guess
that a round trip from the nearest corner of the WTC site to the
mosque location and back would probably be a half-hour or more drive.

Half an hour to drive 2 blocks and back?

Do you understand that a) for a couple of years, this will be just
another construction site, and b) a couple of months after whatever
grand-opening cermony they have, this will be just another building?

Life lurches on in the big city, eh? Bidness as usual. I don't think
I'd like living there.

Is the ground where the towers fell just another bit of Manhattan real
estate now? *Honest question: perhaps to those who live there it is. *

To the people who sit in traffic in that area, it's just another
construction site. To others, in the construction trades and
professions, its a goldmine, which is to say, its just another rather
huge construction site. No fewer than three of my clients are making
very big bucks on this job. Further, I can tell you from personal
experience that at least two large telecom companies (one starts with
AT&T and the other one rhymes with Verizon) cashed in huge on the
federal money that was being thrown around in the months following
9/11. Someday, someone may want to explain how authorizing unlimited
overtime for installation of residential DSL equipment in Scarsdale (a
very wealthy community 30 miles north of the WTC) had anything at all
to do with rebuilding the communications infrastructure in lower
Manhattan.

I don't know if it ever hits the national news, but every now and
then, a construction job in Manhattan will uncover something of
archeological or social relevance. One day it's an Indian burial
ground, the next, an ancient (by US standards) church. The most recent
I heard of was an 18th (If I remember correctly) century ocean-going
boat, sunk for landfill. Every one of these finds halts construction
while the various scholarly institutions do their thing, and every one
of them brings honking horns and ****ed off cab drivers, not all of
whom (despite the stereotype) are Muslim.

How far away from the WTC is far enough? *How long after 9/11 is long
enough? *

Good questions. *With the density of and pace of life in Manhattan,
maybe 100 yards and two weeks are enough. *Again, I defer to those who
live there.

Well, then, you should defer. Which you have not done here, so far.

Wrong. But you'd have to read to know that.

8/28/2010, 12:23 PM this thread
"As said, I'll defer to the New Yorkers to decide how they feel about
that. Perhaps you should too."
8/28/2010 2:00 PM this thread and repeated above in your post: