Posted to alt.home.repair

Default finish on red oak threshold

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:47:24 -0700, Uno wrote:

On 8/27/2010 10:10 AM, Joe wrote:
On Aug 26, 10:51 pm, wrote:
wrote:
Don't use Thompson's at all, ever. ...for *anything*.

Why do you say that?
--
Uno

Years ago Consumer Reports tested the stuff and gave it a 'Not
Recommended'. The company never changed anything, just kept bluffing
their way through the market; one can only guess why they weren't sued
for fraud. But the product containers are very well done.
You can likely make an equivalent product yourself with a couple bars
of paraffin wax dissolved in a whole lot of paint thinner. Can't
imagine why you would want to use it on anything important, though.

Crap ... I usually know to steer my clients in a better direction.

Sometimes I don't know more than they do on certain topics. If anyone
has suggestions for alternatives, I'm all ears.

Any *good* preservative, exterior stain, etc. I've heard the $10/yr/gallon
number used for deck preservative.