Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
skeez skeez is offline

Default cherry bow box

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 23:11:32 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:21:17 -0400, skeez wrote:

Interesting.. How did you do the bow?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

the bow was a practice session..... I had never steam bent anything
before so I gave it a shot. it was soooo easy. after bending I took
the 4 ribbons to the sander and sanded the miters on them doing 2 then
gluing together then took the 2 halves and sanded them to fit and
glued together. I shot the bow with deft [5 coats and glued the curl
on the bottom to make sure it stayed that way and to make it stronger
to lift with. After the box lid was done I took my pocket knife and
scraped off some finish where the bow was to set and glued it on with
CA. it is strong enough to lift the lid [so far] :-] the lid was cut
then spun on the lath to hollow out the botton and bowl shape the top
to make it much lighter. the lid is about 1/4" thick exept around the
perimeter.

skeez