Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Radiant heating (boiler) vs. Forced air

On Aug 28, 12:54*am, "
wrote:
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 05:56:11 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Aug 25, 4:52*pm, "SBH" wrote:
"Twayne" wrote in message

Please post to newsgroups in Plain Text. Because you used HTML, some
people won't be able to read your message, though not a huge number.

HTH,

Twayne`

Thanks

Thank you and my apologies for the text. I forgot about that issue. With
that in mind, I will reply again what I replied with yesterday in case some
couldn't read it..

Thank you for the replies.

My radiant heat system is a baseboard system and yes, arranging furniture
can be tricky and requires it t be away from the wall a baseboard may be on.
I have seen thinner baseboard such as the "Runtal" system. Sharp looking and
better with furniture placement. *I've also heard about the underfloor
system and thought about converting. Anyone care to chime in on the
difficulties and/or expense of doing this?

Reading a few replies indicated a heat pump. How does a heat pump work with
a boiler system and no AC?

Thanks again.

The heat pump warms the water instead of the boiler. *

I've never seen a heat pump that heats water. *A heat pump doesn't pump the
temperature high enough to make hot-water heat practical.

Better tell that to GE:

http://www.geappliances.com/heat-pump-hot-water-heater/

"Electric Heat Pump Water Heater
The most energy efficient 50-gallon electric
water heater you can buy
To create the next generation of water heaters, GE rethought every
aspect of this appliance from the ground up. The result is an
innovative new product that can reduce water heater operating cost up
to 62% and save $320 per year.* That adds up to significant savings,
and you won't have to give up a single drop of hot water."

and Mcquay:

http://ingramswaterandair.com/mcquay...vsfhu=33313935

"Mcquay International Geothermal Heat Pump 3 Ton Water-to-Water
(Radiant Floor)
Item Number : GRW-1036"

The biggest
factor is where do you live? * If it's a temperate climate, that could
be an option. * But if it's somewhere that the heat pump alone will
not be sufficient and you need a backup source, ie a boiler anyway,
then it's not practical. *

Our backup is resistive, built into the heat pump. *It's not needed very often
so it doesn't make sense to have a separate backup system. *We do have a gas
fireplace, now, for the few really cold days.

Which is why they aren't very popular.

What isn't popular? *Heat pumps are *very* popular.

Heat pumps are not popular for use as radiant heat sources, because of
the reasons I outlined. Being not popular doesn't mean they don't
exist.

Also, if you're going to have a large heat pump it's more cost
effective to have it provide the AC too, instead of another heat pump.

Huh? *Why would you need another? (I have two, but two smaller units are
cheaper than one humongous one. *- Hide quoted text -

SBH was asking about heat pump based radiant systems. If he bought a
heat pump based radiant hot water system and wanted AC, then he would
have a second heat pump as part of the AC. It may not be called a
heat pump, but that is what it is. My point being, that is another
reason heat pumps for radiant systems are not that popular.