Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Tile Shower Stall - Base Moisture?????

On Aug 27, 6:57*pm, infiniteMPG wrote:
I would let it dry out then cover it with a membrane such as Schluter. It is
thin-setted down then the tiles are laid in thin-set on top of it. If you
follow the directions it will fit over a sloped base and will prevent any
water from penetrating futher.

Was planning on using the MAPEI AquaDefense before putting down the
tile :

http://www.mapei.it/Referenze/Multim...Defense_TDS_EA...

Soapy water soaking in over the years must
have punky smell by now. I would want to stop any further absorption.

Any hints on how to dry out a big chunk of damp concrete like that? *I
put the absorbing material and within a couple hours it's soaked. *Was
hoping that would draw the moisture out but seems like I'd need a
truckload to do it that way.

Tare it out and start over as the base concrete will not be as strong
after it drie,s out , you will also have mold issues for ever as the
mold has grown into the pores of the concrete . Saying that build
the new base then put a fiberglass liner to the whole space and all
your problems are solved . Concrete and tile are the worst showers
going .