Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Iggy, found your lathe

On 8/27/2010 6:38 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Define "medium cuts"...and how old is it?G

..050 DOC, .003/rev feed, 3/4" dia stock at around 1100 rpm. (hard to
tell as there's a very large dead band in the speed control and the
numbers are all but worn off) That may not be book ideal, but it's what
works best after a lot of fiddling with speeds and feeds.
It'll do it, it just doesn't really like it. Suspect a fair bit of it is
I just don't have the right insert. But the part only comes around maybe
twice a year, 20-25 pcs, so I just don't worry about it too much.

Just ran some tiny parts in 303 and held a couple tenths over 260+ pcs,
sure can't complain about that! I didn't mean to sound like I am bagging
on Omniturns.

Jon