Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Lawn mower engines

On Aug 27, 2:45*pm, Ray K wrote:
I'm in the market for a 21" or 22" self-propelled, front drive,
walk-behind mower. The most commons engines are B&S and Honda, but
models with the Honda engine (like some in the Craftsman lineup) cost
about $60 more ($470 vs $410). I know this is a subjective question, but
is a Honda engine that much better?

Tecumseh seem to be out of favor. That's what's in my 3-year-old Toro.
Major complaint about the engine is the flimsy plastic tabs that hold
the fuel tank, and it seems noisy.

Reason I'm going for a new mower is a bad gear in the axle transmission
assembly. Nothing to do with the engine. Cost to replace the assembly is
$70, but I might also have problems right at both front drive wheels, so
I'm going with a new one.

Thanks,

Ray

Honda motors will last longer, you can get one for 399 at HD online. I
think its a great deal.