Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default finish on red oak threshold

Uno wrote:
dpb wrote:

What kind of paste filler? Are you my english friend from
comp.lang.fortran? If so, you might not know what Lowe's and Home Depot
are and might not know our brands.

I'm the same dpb but I've no clew why you'd think I'm a Brit...but, I'm
in farm country in SW KS far removed from places largest enough to have
the Borg's so I've no clue what brands they carry, sorry...

I'd guess anything they have of a recognized manufacturer will be
perfectly adequate.

Here's a link that has a decent discussion of the ideas in what you're
after...

http://www.antiquerestorers.com/Articles/SAL/filpore.htm

What makes stain, varnish, and polyurethane different? Which can you
mix? What do you have to apply first?

See above article for an adequate description of process.

Stains or dyes are precisely that; colorants for the purpose of adding
color. They're not finishes at all. They will be marked as to which
topcoatings are compatible over them.

Here's an article on various finishes -- primarily from a woodworkers'
viewpoint but the basics of the finishes themselves is no different.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/w00060.asp

For a threshold, if it's exterior door, I'd use an exterior hard poly
varnish that contains UV-resistant agents; for interior I'd use an
interior floor varnish.