Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Yet another bulging-capacitors replacement

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:29:01 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Any opinions on silipads? From my limited trials mica sheet and absolute
minimal white grease has better thermal transfer. Emphasis again on
minimal. Having to decide this week whether to spend out on 6 MJ series
TO3 devices in an old Carver amp failed due to one of the driver TO3
being pushed through a heap of white grease , so grease on pins getting
inside the TO3 socket housing , so insulating partially and eventually
burning up the pin .

I've seen pads used in a lot of high power amps. Soundcraftsmen, BGW,
Carver, Peavey, Crown all used them at some time or another. If the
devices are torqued down properly I don't have a problem with them. You
are talking about the rubberized pads with embedded compound right?