Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Anyone watch Holmes on Homes??

On Aug 26, 3:18*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/26/2010 2:06 PM, RicodJour wrote:

On Aug 26, 2:54 pm, Steve *wrote:
On 8/26/2010 12:58 PM, DGDevin wrote:
*wrote in message
On Aug 26, 10:38 am, *wrote:

The prior message made want to ask the question. I get the program on
HGTV, but it might be on other channels as well. I think it is a great
program with not only shocking examples of work being done, but some
interesting techniques and material for accomplishing tasks. Check it
out.

The guy's heart is in the right place, but he's no Tommy Silva. His
construction experience on display has some deficiencies. Makes good
watching, though.

I'd like to see follow-up shows where they identify the contractor
responsible for the shoddy or fraudulent work and take him to court. Too
many such sleazeballs count on people not wanting to spend the money to
go after them, and since many folks don't research before hiring there
is always another sucker to be ripped off. Those clowns deserve some bad
publicity.

That's an interesting idea. *Very. *Instead of flapping your
gums...errr, fingers...here, go sell the idea to a DIY network before
someone else does!

well i think the biggest mistake people make is giving ANY money up
front. There was a news article just a couple nights ago here in KC
about some dum ******* who paid a roofer multiple thousand up front.
When are people gonna learn? *I pay NOTHING up front. *(on the rare
occasion i can't do something myself)

Is it simply that you don't like to part with the money any sooner
than you have to?
Do you take it as a shady practice when a contractor asks for money up
front?
Or is it that you're worried that you'll lose leverage, or the
contractor may skip, if you pay some money up front?

It is my opinion that any reputable contractor shouldn't need my money
up front. *I would hope he's liquid enough or has good enough credit to
get my materials out of the supplier(s) without having to pay for them
HIMSELF up front. *I have a very reputable HVAC man i use, and even the
very first time we met, he didn't want but a third and that was only
after he had the equipment on my property. *Since then, he's not asked
for a dime (seven more major jobs) until he was finished.

So yes, to answer your questions:

No i don't want to part with my money any sooner than necessary
Yes, i take it as shady if they ask for money up front
And yes, you lose ALL your leverage if you don't owe them money. *And
yes, they skip all the time when paid. *Fencers and roofers are the worst.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

"... they skip all the time when paid. Fencers and roofers are the
worst"

Fences are one thing, but skipping off of a roof is just plain dumb.