Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Molly Brown Molly Brown is offline

Default Carrier/Bryant heat exchanger class action

On Aug 26, 1:19*am, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting service under this
class action settlement. *I have a 350MAV060120 AAKA furnace which
started giving problems in early spring. *It came with a lifetime
parts warranty on the heat exchangers and my understanding is that
this settlement added a 20 year labor warranty. *My service tech
had a fairly simple (~3 page) form to fill out with the results of
some tests (e.g., CO in the exhaust was off the scale) and I thought
this would be simple, but he has been going round with Bryant for
months now with no useful results. *(Oddly they did not ask for
the pressure drop across the heat exchanger--it's about double the
nominal value.)

The last thing he said they sent was a new 17 page form that also
requests pictures (requiring the furnace to be disassembled before
they will send a replacement). *He says they also say that if when
they get the heat exchanger back it does not have the type of failure
discussed in the settlement it will not be covered. *They aren't talking
about covering labor either.

Seems to me that Bryant is trying to use the class action settlement to
narrow rather than expand the coverage. *Obviously the original lifetime
warranty wasn't restricted to failures contemplated by the later class
action.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan Lanciani
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ddl@danlan.*com

They’re making the heat exchangers thinner and thinner supposedly for
better energy efficiency but the real reason is because they are too
cheap to use more and expensive metals. The heat exchangers of my wall
furnaces from 1949 on the other hand don’t have any leaks because
they’re built like a tank. Every once in a while I’ll get a call from
these government crony companies that want to replace my wall furnaces
for free and I tell them to go …. themselves.