Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Plans for detached screen house?

Steve B wrote the following:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Aug 25, 11:49 am, wrote:

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:36:18 -0700, "Steve B"

wrote:

None of the fancy stuff in
expensive aluminum frames.

Why not, that is the easiest to install and easiest replace screen
in..

Easiest doesn't mean the cheapest..and we're talking about a lot of
square footage. I'm guessing that pre-framed screens for that size
structure is going to put a strain on your budget.

BTW...consider using the "pet resistant" screen.

I know it's more expensive upfront, but it may well be worth the cost.

A few years ago I replaced the screen on my slider with it because I
have a cat who lets us know she wants to come in by jumping up onto
the screen, hanging for a second and then jumping down to the deck.
The ensuing "thump" lets us know she's there. If we're too slow,
she'll jump up again and many, many times I've peeled her off the
screen, claws digging in and pulling on the screen.

This has been going on for well over 3 years and there is not one mark
or tear on the screen. This stuff really works.

Another advantage of the pet resistant screening is that the fabric
material is thicker and more visible, so people (guests) are less likely
to walk into it.
I've had to replace some door screening on the pool house a couple of
times because of people walking into it before I changed to the pet kind.

It comes in long rolls, so you could build your own frames as
suggested by Steve B. For the amount you need, I'd contact the
manufacturer and try to get wholesaler pricing - or at least the name
of a wholesaler that can beat the home center prices.

One example...

http://www.metroscreenworks.com/shop...c69973aed7e079

I had two custom made 70% shade cloths made from some outfit on the net. I
was well pleased with them, as they did a very good job sewing and
grommetting them, and they WERE an unusual size that I could not buy just a
standard size at the Borg. I was pleased with the price, they fit, and they
lasted about four years before requiring repairs.

Then I bought a Singer walking foot sewing machine that would sew 1/4" of
leather, and it would certainly sew this shadecloth. I matched the
shadecloth of what I had custom made, and the shadecloth this outfit used to
Home Depot, and it was IDENTICAL to it.

If I had the sewing machine previously, I could have made my own for far
less.

I am taking my machine in for a tune up, having several shadecloth projects
as well as Sunbrella awning canvas jobs in the pipeline. Let me tell you,
being able to make steel frames for awnings, and being able to sew Sunbrella
will cut costs to about 30% of what they want retail.

If a guy is a real DIY'er, and has the right equipment, there isn't much
that is available commercially that they cannot crank out, and at a
substantial savings. AND without sacrificing a lot in quality. Sometimes
it is just worth the money to buy the tools for ONE JOB.

It depends on the time available. Sometimes it is easier and cheaper just
to pay someone, and have it appear. And other times, it is nice to do it
yourself, and take the extra money saved and buy tools, or other nice things
for yerseff and SWMBO.

SWMBO's love it when you spend the money you "saved" on a job on them.
Funny, how when you go out and spend a lot of money, and "save" on it how it
ends up the same as our ancestral hunter/gatherer behavior of bringing back
the goods in mass quantities. Then the ritualistic celebrations, and the
celebratory mixed cocktail of gene pools ..........

All Hail The Great Hunter/Gatherer! ;-)

Steve

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683