Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default OT Religion

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Does anyone have a link to English language version of Shariian law?
I'm guessing I'll find it terrifying reading.

Here's my take: When the Jews left Egypt to wander in the desert, they had
to have a system of laws governing virtually everything beyond worship. The
613 commandments in the Torah were the starting point and developed through
the Mishnah and Gematria.

The Arabs started with the revelations of Mohammed and Sharia law grew from
that.

Both Jewish law and Sharia went way beyond religious practice to include
marriage, divorce, inheritance, contracts, protocols of war, trade,
commerce, the planting of beans, regulations of occupations, ordinary crime,
and the entire corpus of what we would call jurisprudence.

The Jews, through exile and minority status, subsumed their laws to the
secular laws in force wherever they found themselves.

Christianity came into being in a society already sophisticated in law - the
early Christians had no need to develop rules regarding crime, adoption,
marriage, contracts, and the like. The Romans had already taken care of all
that. That is, the Christians were already used to living under a system of
pre-existing laws.

But the Arabs were not subjected to any society's already-existing secular
laws - Sharia simply grew and grew more powerful.

Give them three thousand years (like the Jews) or two thousand years (like
the Christians) and maybe they'll get their **** together.

Interestingly, Sharia law IS enforceable in the United States. If two
parties to a contract stipulate that disagreements will be settled under
terms of Sharia, U.S. courts will (usually) enforce that clause.