Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Do It Yourself -- Not

On Aug 25, 7:06*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 04:46:19 -0400, aemeijers wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 22:47:13 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
"More than half of young people lack the skills they need to maintain
their homes, with many relying on their parents to carry out basic
tasks, a survey suggested today.
"Around 50 per cent of people aged under 35 admitted they did not
know how to rewire a plug, while 54 per cent did not know how to
bleed a radiator and 63 per cent said they would not attempt to put
up wallpaper, according to Halifax Home Insurance."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Do-Not-likely-

youre-35--Survey-finds-young-people-DIY-dunces-rewire-plug.html?
ITO=1490#ixzz0xZu365qC

Or, in the current market, if a faucet starts dripping, walk away
from your home and buy another.

*I have advocated for years that HS junior or senior year needed a
course called 'stuff you need to know in the real world'. One semester
of stuff like how to own and operate a checking account/credit card,
get a consumer loan, not get bent over at the car dealer, etc. The
other semester of basic mechanical and home repair tasks, like how to
change a tire, how to check oil, how to not get bent over at the
repair shop, how to do basic household repairs, and how to know when
to attempt it yourself vs. when you should call a tradesman (and not
get bent over by him either.)

Well, parents obviously ain't passing on these skill sets any more,
assuming they ever had them.

They used to call that "shop" and "home EC"

Perhaps in your part of the world. In the schools I attended, Home Ec
was cooking and sewing, and shop was Wood Shop and Metal Shop.

Home ec was the same at mine, although we had separate "design and
communication" (the bit where you got to draw house plans) and "design
and realisation" (the bit where you got to make towel hooks and cut your
fingers off) courses - and I'm not sure if "shop" was ever really in use
in UK schools.

(in all seriousness, I think the first time I heard 'shop' I assumed it
was some sort of business course to do with buying and selling things :-)

cheers

Jules- Hide quoted text -

Well, that would be my association too. :-)