Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default OT - eBay dreamer

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

This clown has the decimal point in the wrong place.

I wonder if this was one of the old 915 MHz microwave ovens. The
advantage was very uniform cooking. The disadvantge was that it could
not cook bacon. Modern microwave ovens run at 2450 MHz.

Joe Gwinn

Very unlikely. we have one quite a bit older, and it is clearly a 2450
MHz oven. I doubt any 915 MHz ovens were ever sold for home use, as they
would have needed a license. The move to 2450 MHz was specifically to
satisfy FCC licensing requirements by putting it in a band where nobody
would mind. 915 MHz would get the cell phone companies all upset. Any
915 MHz oven would have had to come from the early 1970's, or be a special
industrial unit requiring a license.

Jon

for what it's worth, I have the earlier version of this oven, with the two
analog timers. I bought it new in 1972 for $220 US. In the intervening
years, I have had to clean/unweld the contacts on the "fast" timer once, and
I've bypassed the overcurrent fuse (a thermal fuse inside a resistor) when
the fuse blew (the microwave then put out a couple of bright flashes and has
worked perfectly ever since). My daughter also has one of these, which I
picked up from a neighbor's trash - it also works perfectly. It doesn't
have "features", but what it does have is simplicity and reliability - I
think I prefer the simplicity over a plethora of wonderous but useless
features.