Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
engineman engineman is offline

Default How to make a scroll?

WOW, that archive from popular science brought back memories.
Back in the late 40's as a barefoot teenagers on bicycles my friends
and I were able to go to the local chemical supply house and buy
whatever we could afford.
We bought nitric acid, hydroflouric acic, bromine, phosphourus,
sodium, potassiuum chlorate, potassium dichromate, potassium nitrate
and other goodies.
The good old days are gone.
Engineman

On Aug 25, 5:16*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:58:09 -0400, Bob Engelhardt

wrote:
"Scroll" as in the decorative curlicue element in a "wrought iron"
fence. *I need to replace (match) 2 missing ones. *I have a loose one to
use as a pattern.

They will be made of 3/16" x 1/2" mild steel. *The largest diameter is
6" & there are about 1-1/2 turns. *After a 1/2 turn the diameter
decreases by 1/2 (is that a standard for scrolls?).

Should I heat them? *(I have a propane foundry burner that I can cobble
into a forge.) *If so, how hot?

Will I need forms to bend against? *If so, is there a rule of thumb for
the spring back to account for (hot, cold)?

Any tips about stuff that I don't even know enough to ask about?

A bending fork:http://tinyurl.com/2u3j3jq

Unless the beginning is a tight radius or forged to a taper you should
be able to do it all cold.

--
Ned Simmons- Hide quoted text -