Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Do It Yourself -- Not

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 06:56:14 -0700, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On 2010-08-25, HeyBub wrote:

to rewire a plug, while 54 per cent did not know how to bleed a
Â*radiator....

I'm thinking, "what the hell is 'bleed a radiator'", not realizing,
for a few seconds, this does not mean a car radiator. Â*I suspect a
large majority of folks in the US haven't a clue about how to bleed a
steam radiator, having never seen one. Â*Are there even radiators west
of the Mississippi?

They're pretty rare in the Midwest, too, outside of large cities.

The only types I've seen in the US are either big old cast iron ones in
schools etc., or little baseboard things in homes. The latter don't seem
much good for anything really (and lack bleed screws). If I could find a
good local source of the types of panel radiator typically seen in the UK
I'd likely dump the forced-air / electric baseboard setup that we
currently have in the house.

That also accounts for "rewire a plug", I believe. Harry can tell us
whether the U.K. has/hasn't standardized on a single type of plug.

Yes, at least for domestic AC (there are a few different types designed
for less common voltages and currents, but they're not typically seen in
the home. I was quite amazed when I moved to the US just how enormous the
plugs and cables for 220V AC devices are (particularly as they still
don't have a fuse in the plug).

cheers

Jules