Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Do It Yourself -- Not

On Aug 25, 5:23*am, notbob wrote:
On 2010-08-25, HeyBub wrote:

to rewire a plug, while 54 per cent did not know how to bleed a
*radiator....

I'm thinking, "what the hell is 'bleed a radiator'", not realizing,
for a few seconds, this does not mean a car radiator. *I suspect a
large majority of folks in the US haven't a clue about how to bleed a
steam radiator, having never seen one. *Are there even radiators west
of the Mississippi?

nb

A Brit newspaper.
There are some quite major differences in terminology across the pond.
The people being referred to here have never lived (as householders)
through a recession. (our last one being in the 1980's.) It's gonna
be a steep learning curve for them.
There's alot of people over here think the only way to earn a living
is sat in front of a computer screen these days. They don't want to
know about manual jobs.
When I was in school, everone learnt woodwork and metalwork. I don't
think that's the case any more.
You never see kids messing with cars anymore. A lot of hobbies that
involved construction have disappeared too.
All they know is instant gratification, buy your fun in a box. Or on
the tube/screen.