Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ranger The Ranger is offline

Default Do It Yourself -- Not

HeyBub wrote in message
"More than half of young people lack the skills they need to maintain
their homes, with many relying on their parents to carry out basic tasks,
a survey suggested today.
"Around 50 per cent of people aged under 35 admitted they did not
know how to rewire a plug, while 54 per cent did not know how to
bleed a radiator and 63 per cent said they would not attempt to put
up wallpaper, according to Halifax Home Insurance."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0xZu365qC

Or, in the current market, if a faucet starts dripping, walk away from
your home and buy another.

I only know these things because I "helped" in the remodel of my home. I
fought my Father-unit tooth-and-nail the entire time I was living my
teenangst-riddled years. He didn't know half as much as my friends and if he
was able to provide a sample, I was quick to shoot it down as a poor sample.

As I got older, of course things changed, but I was still too slow to catch
on just how much he knew before he passed on. Saddest day I realized was the
day I called my Sainted Mother(tm) and asked, "So how do I do this again?"

"That was a lesson Dad tried to teach you. You didn't want to listen."

The same parents, with similar attitudes during the same times, are
lamenting their lack of listening skills because their kids have never seen
tools or had experiences that they did. shrug

Luckily for me, the foreman on the job saw potential and was willing to
"teach" me. It wasn't so much teach as letting me do it wrong until I was
totally frustrated and then saying, "I'd recommend doing it *this* way..."
Money and time meant a larger paycheck for him and a collej edumacation from
Hard Knocks U. for me but it was worth it.

The Ranger