Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_2_] Jim K[_2_] is offline

Default mixing SBR screed

On Aug 25, 8:32 am, sm_jamieson wrote:
On 25 Aug, 06:12, Tim Watts wrote:

sm_jamieson wrote:
I'm guessing Tim may answer this !!
Mixing the dryish mix in a normal cement mixer, I tried to mix the
cement and sand basically dry first.
You have to do this to gauge the liquid correctly, since it suddenly
gets "too wet" and putting the water in first
would not work for such a dry mix - it would just totally clag up at
the back of the mixer.
I put the sand in first, then the cement, but still found the cement
tends to get stuck at the back.
This means various manual interventions to get the stuff mixed
properly.
But when you are mixing a laying on your own, you really need to mixer
to do all the mixing !
Any ideas / experience ?
Cheers,
Simon.

I'm not sure what to suggest Simon.

You're doing the same as me. Maybe my mixer handles differently or maybe I
was doing most of mine in the hot weather and materials (esp sand) were dry.

I may have had to use a stick occasionally to get a blob to come of the back
of the mixer but it wasn't often.

How big's your machine? Mine is a rusty old full-size (with the domed motor
casing on the right a-la Clarke.

Its a belle mini-mix.
The sand was slightly damp (in bulk bags under a tarpaulin).
I'll let you know if I find a solution. There always is one ;-)
Cheers,
Simon.

anyway you can tip the mixer forward a little ~25mm piece of wood
under the rear legs?

had this problem (with ordinary mixes) in an old benford tipup mixer,
couple of bits of wood helped it enormously tho watch our for the
reduced capacity whilst so tipped - tho as you say it's a dry mix you
may be OK...

Jim K