Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] wmbjkREMOVE@citlink.net is offline

Default pulling OUT trees with a winch?

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:21:05 -0700 (PDT), william wixon
wrote:

hey, this is a question i've had on my mind for a long time and have
been wanting to ask someone about it (but have been afraid to, worried
i'll be thought of as an idiot), hopefully there's someone somewhere
who has actual experience with this.

"Correct" spelling (by consensus) is "wench." - Usenet Head Office

is it possible to pull small (6 or maybe even 8 inch diameter at the
base) trees OUT of the ground (roots and all) with a winch?

i don't have enough money to buy a backhoe. i've dug trees out by
hand before and that's a lot of time consuming hard work. i was
wondering if there might be a cheaper alternative to a backhoe and a
easier alternative to a shovel.

these guys make a gasoline powered 12000 pound winch. i'm wondering
if 12000 is enough. (i would imagine it is, though i don't want to
buy the damn thing adn find out it's NOT.)

http://www.winchesplus.com/winch-G120.html

I don't have any experience with what you propose, but you can buy an
electric wench that size for about $300 and power it with a car
battery. That's what I use to raise and lower my turbine tower.
http://www.citlink.net/~wmbjk/11wind_power.htmor Better yet, use a
pair of T105s, for a total of about $550 for wench and batteries.

Wayne