Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default pulling OUT trees with a winch?

On Aug 24, 1:57*pm, " wrote:
I used a string with a torpedo shaped weight to get the string over a
high up branch. *...
Anyway get the string over a branch high on the tree, then use it to
pull a light line, and finally a steel cable or chain.

Anyway you get the cable around the tree as high as you can and then
use a come-a-long to pull. ...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

Same here, pretty much.

If the tree has spreading roots like red oaks, clear the ground on the
far side of the stump. When you see a crack open above a root, dig
down and chop it.

Trees bend and rope stretches a long ways when the line is attached up
high, further than the pull of the usual cable puller. I attach two
lines at the lower end and use two pullers alternately. Instead of a
second puller you can maintain your progress with a 2" cargo binding
strap with a big D handle for leverage.

jsw