Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default Soldering directly to button battery

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:38:42 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

I think you'll find that the discharged button cell will suck the new AAA's
dry.

Also, the CR2032 is 3.6V. Three AAA's are 4.8V. I wonder what the voltage
jump would do to your equipment.

Properly applied, the heat should do no damage. Some motherboard batteries
used to be directly soldered-in.

A better approach, if you want a hard-wired battery receptacle, would be to
unsolder the CR2032's battery-holder from the PCB, then solder the leads of
your newly-purchased AAA battery-holder to the CR's holes PCB.

Best approach is to replace the button cell. It'll most likely
have the same or longer life anyway as it is pretty much just the
shelf life that matters.

Those batteries typically last 5 years. 5 years from now the
motherboard is going to be so obsolete, that once more replacement is all
it might ever possibly need.