Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Semi-conductor Question

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:27:51 -0700, Bob Villa wrote:

On Aug 24, 8:25Â*am, "ian field" wrote:
"Meat Plow" wrote in message

news

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 06:28:50 -0700, Bob Villa wrote:

On Aug 23, 8:58 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 05:17:04 -0700, Bob Villa wrote:
On Aug 20, 5:16 am, Bob Villa wrote:
Many years ago (possibly 50) you could buy a module that would
take the place of a starting relay or centrifugal cut-out for an
AC motor. Where do you find them? (I think I sent for one thru
Popular Science mag at the time)
Thanks

It is amazing to me that they aren't commonly available!

Google --- PLC module.

HTH

Not even close. Â*This was a small (a little larger than a postage
stamp), simple device. Â*I remember using one on a 5 HP motor that
wouldn't start. Â*It was for a bakery mixing machine.

Thermistor across the start cap?

Already suggested - he seems to be ignoring it.

Murata make a range of motor start thermistors (posistor).

By the look of the picture on the front of the catalogue they may be
plug in replacements for existing start winding solenoids.

There is no starting cap...it would take the place of a centrifugal
opening starting switch.
I'll Google posistor and see where that leads. (thanks meathead for the
comment-helpful indeed)

Never got into actual motor repair except for taking apart 10/15 horse
230 volt single phase repulsion/induction motors, then having the rotor/
stator rewound, the com resurfaced or replaced. Other than that was a
simple plugin solid state replacement for a three pin residential AC
compressor. There were direct replacements or hard start replacements to
give the compressor a month or so longer useful life while the owner
scraped up the cash for a replacement.