Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default questions about concrete

wrote:
I am planning to pour concrete between two structures. the back and one side
is basement wall (cement blocks) on other side is concrete slab with
aluminum storage shed. the space is 11' x 3.5' and I am in Michigan.

Do I need expansion joints? if so is there a way to attach/glue them in
place? the alum shed has a flange thing on wall that goes over top 1" of
slab, and is not tight against slab in some places.......so sticks out a
bit....like 1/8" or so. what is best way to deal with this?

I have some paver/driveway base material that is crushed limestone I
believe....will 3" of this material work for foundation with no sand?

I am planning to pick up 60 lb bags of "Quickrete" concrete and mix in wheel
barrow. how and when to seal?

Lordy that is a lot of work to neaten up a dead space. I'd just put down
landscape fabric to stop the weeds, and lotsa gravel to cover. If you
put a slab there, where is the rain water gonna go? I presume into the
shed is not a desired path. Shed slab and house foundation will move
relative to each other as seasons change, so you will either get cracks
in your new slab, or gaps at the edges.

That shed is way too close to the house, by the way. Did you do it, or
did previous owner? And does you insurance company know? They may not
want you keeping gas cans and such in there, since if it lights off, it
will likely spread to the house as well.

--
aem sends...